Indotechboy — Now this one is another Android "underworld" application which well known especially on Android gamer community, and it is GLTools. GLTools (APK) Android app is created mainly for gaming purpose on Android devices.
Many Android games developed today just getting more beautiful and realistic graphic. To run those heavy graphic games, we will need powerful Android device packaged with powerful processors and big memory (RAM). If you force a game to run on an Android device which not meet the minimum system requirements for the game, then get ready to meet "Mr. Lag" or even his older brothers "Mr. Stopped" and "Mr. Force Close" :D. And that's when GLTools is needed.
The main function of GLTools (APK) Android app that mostly used is the graphic reducer. By using GLTools (APK) Android app we can "manipulate" our Android device system to reduce the game resolution, reduce the 3D textures, fake our device GPU, etc. By those ways, we can play games smoother with better FPS (Frame Per Second) on our Android device.
To make game run smoother and faster on our Android device is not all what GLTools can do. GLTools also has function to enhance or fix the game graphic for better graphic output on our Android device by manipulating the device system information to the running game (amazing, right?).
For you who had quite some experience on Android hacking and tweaking may already know about an Android app named 3D Chainfire. Well, more or less GLTools and 3D Chainfire was created for similar purposes. What difference those two Android applications is GLTools has richer features and support broader range of Android version from Android 2.3 up to Android 6.0. And GLTools (APK) Android app is still on active development until now.
GLTools Android application info
|app title||GLTools [root] (games and graphics optimizer)|
|system requirements||Android 2.3 and higher.|
|tested on||Android phone: Samsung Galaxy V SM-G313HZ|
GLTools Android application description
Quoted from the developer:
Root and a writable /system partition are required! Please, read the description completely! Don't try to use reviews for communication and bugreports – they will be ignored
GLTools is a custom OpenGLES driver (proxy), that is compatible with any known OpenGLES 2.0-compatible GPU + ARM or x86 processor. If you still don't understand, what this app is, the closest known analog is Chainfire3D.
- Change resolution and rendering bitness in any app, even if it doesn't support that by default.
- Change GPU name and enjoy enhanced graphics even on a noname low-end GPU.
- Take full control over textures: now you can decompress/recompress them (even if your GPU doesn't support that texture format) and resize. Note that decompression feature is available only if you'll install a plugin (internet is required to do that).
- Optimize shaders on-the-fly for optimal performance (the same optimizer is used in Unity3D engine by default).
- Enable MSAA or CSAA in any app to improve graphics quality (make sure that your GPU supports that).
- Measure gained performance with a nice onscreen FPS counter (or you can output FPS information to Logcat if you are a pro).
GLTools is 100% safe if you have a custom recovery installed (and you didn't disable backup in GLTools install dialog), if you'll find it non-working, you can just flash uninstall_gltools.zip in recovery and email me with details (or request a refund). If you don't have one, it is NOT safe, just like any other system-related tool, make sure that you are able to recover your firmware in case of any problems.
- Nexus 6 @ Android 6.0.1
- Stock Nvidia Shield firmwares
- Some games fail to work on devices with Mail GPU even with GLTools enabled. Adreno is supported much better.
Not working by design on:
- Non-rooted devices.
- Emulators of any kind.
Some noob tips to get better graphic performance and quality on your Android games using GLTools app
- Game is smooth, but screen is black / have black dotted: tick the "Force 16 bit rendering".
- Lag or force close on game:
* Change "Downscales texture," = 0.5, or choose value below it (reduce graphic quality).
* Tick "Use fake cpu" and "Use fake GPU". Then change the "Use a template". May need some experiment to seek the best setting.
* Reduce the value of "Use lower render resolution" (reduce graphic).
- Increasing graphic quality:
* Tick "Optimise glsl shader".
* Increase the value of "Anti aliasing", match it with your device (Tegra or non-Tegra device).
* Tick "Use fake CPU" and "Use fake GPU". Change the "Use a template". May need some experiment to seek the best setting.
How to install GLTools on your Android device
When your are about to open the GLTools app for the first time it will need to inject codes to your Android device system. Turn on your internet connection so the GPU decoder plugin option is available to be installed on our Android device.
Gltools APK Android application download link
This is the XDA version of GLTools Android app. The premium / paid version of GLTools Android app with latest update from the developer is available on Play Store.